These are soft, tender and chewy English muffins.
|For 28 muffins:
- Pour the lukewarm water in to a large bowl. Add instant yeast, baking soda and 2 cups of bread flour. Mix till smooth. Allow to sit for 5 minutes uncovered.
- In the meantime, place the eggwhites into a separate bowl and beat eggwhites with an electric mixer. You want them to become stiff and moist. Once the eggwhites have formed stiff peaks; add to dough batter. Using a rubber spatula fold in eggwhites till incorporated into the batter.
- Start to add in the rest of the flour, a 1/4 cup at a time. After the first 1/4 cup mix in salt. When the mixture becomes hard to mix ,turn out onto a flat surface. Knead for about 5 to 6 minutes till it becomes smooth and silky. Add a little oil to a clean bowl and place the dough into the bowl. Turn dough over till all sides are very lightly coated. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rest till double in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Afterwards, turn out onto a flat surface. Press to release some of the air from the dough. Using a rolling pin roll out to a 1/2 inch thick. Allow dough to rest for 3 minutes to relax.
Using a 3 inch cookie cutter, cut out circles. Place the cut out pieces onto some cornmeal. Where you have left-over dough just gather together and cut out a few more circles. Sprinkle the tops with more cornmeal. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rest for 45 minutes.
- About 5 minutes before you are ready to cook the english muffins heat your griddle to 350F or place your frying pan on a medium heat. Spray with a little oil spray and once the griddle is hot, put the muffins on it and fry. If you are using a fry pan you may only be able to fry 3-4 at a time. Fry on one side for about 4 minutes. Then turn over and fry for another 4 minutes. Do this once more to a total of 16 minutes.
- Bon appétit!
Original recipe here.